Onyx can cut and dice Adhesive-Free Bond (AFB®) composite YAG and AFB® composite YAG/sapphire components, as well as other material combinations. We can cut and dice waveguiding structures, passively q-switched microchips, and others.
In-House Machine Shop
Onyx is fully outfitted with its own in-house machine shop, which supplies custom-manufactured tooling for our various manufacturing processes. The ability to have project-specific tooling fabricated on the premises aids in the efficient manufacture of our AFB® optical components.
We have the ability to provide laser scribing, grooving, and cutting for AFB® components, allowing for serialization or other identification inscriptions. A range of characters, as well as varying scribe widths and depths, are available. This service is applicable to a wide range of electro-optic materials, including diamond.
Onyx has many in-house measurement capabilities, including:
- Measurements to sub-micron accuracies
- 0.3 - 3 µ spectrophotometer tracing (full and narrow range scans) for absorption coefficient determination
- Phase and wavelength shifting interferometry for measuring surface figure and parallelism
- Stress birefringence measurements
- Fracture strength with sample preparation according to ASTM C1161-02c by four-point bending with full documentation and Weibull analysis on Onyx-prepared samples
- Equi-biaxial fracture test according to ASTM C1499-05
- Elastic modulus of laser crystals and optical ceramics by precision interferometric strain measurement with complete documentation
- Fracture toughness of customer supplied material
- SEM of grain sizes and grain size distribution of optical ceramics
- Laser marking, scribing, and cutting
- Thermal conductivity as function of temperature at near room temperature and above for crystals or glasses
- Thermal conductivity as function of temperature at liquid N2 or above for crystals or glasses
- Thermal conductivity of AFB® composites of crystals or glasses at room temperature or liquid N2, useful for evaluating heat transfer coefficient between doped and undoped or differently doped crystals or glasses
- Heat transfer between AFB® crystal or glass composites with optical coating at interface at room temperature or liquid N2
- Refractive index at 1.55 µm: ±0.0003
This measurement is useful for designing AFB® waveguides and can be performed with crystals intended to be used for fabrication
- Difference in refractive index at 1.55 µm between e.g. doped and undoped components, useful for waveguide designs, with an accuracy of ±0.00002
- Surface finish through non-contact measurement: ±0.4 Å rms
- Surface figure in presence of Fizeau internal fringe patterns
- Transmitted wavefront at 633 and 1550 nm
- FTIR measurements of infrared materials, up to 14µm
- Micro-Raman spectroscopy
Onyx is well-equipped with polishing capabilities, as polishing is a critical aspect of our AFB® process. We can provide optical finishing for our AFB® composites and offer polishing services for non-composites. Specific capabilities include component thicknesses to tens of microns and barrel polishing of rods. Our polishing averages 2-3 Å surface roughness.
Onyx's x-ray equipment allows us to quickly and accurately measure the orientation axes of crystalline materials. This is a useful tool as verification during incoming inspection, as well as for confirming crystals with non-standard orientations. It is also helpful in the design of our AFB® Walk-Off Corrected (WOC) composites.